How to Get a Red Carpet Glow
By Lee Ann Buttery
Sure, celebrities have an extremely flexible budget where they can splurge on the best foods, most luxurious cosmetic and skin care products on the market, and indulge at the most lavish spas on the globe. So perhaps we can attribute their seemingly flawless faces to their routine facials and high-end cosmetic collection, but as for the rest of us commoners, we too can emulate a celebrity-esque glow even on a humble budget. Continue reading to get tips on how to achieve a red-carpet worthy glow that would even make the Kardashians green with envy.
- Diet– the overall appearance of your skin is largely contingent on what you put in your body. Your face (and body) is bound to reflect health and vitality if you consume a balanced diet rich in good fats, omega-3’s (i.e. salmon, flaxseed), antioxidants, whole grains, protein, fruits and vegetables- especially dark, leafy veggies. Moreover, if you avoid junk food, you’re doing your skin a big favor.
- Sleep– they don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing. Aim to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night and do your best to hit the sack before 11 p.m. In sleep mode, your skin renews itself during the hours of 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. a.k.a. “beauty sleep.” So you might have to tape David Letterman episodes henceforth.
- Drink Up– water and green tea that is. You’ve heard it before- aim to gulp down at least 8 glasses of water a day. This will help flush toxins and impurities out of your body. Sipping 3-4 cups of green tea a day is also very beneficial for your skin as it’s loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, will help to impart a healthy glow. Drinking too many cocktails can sabotage your skin and of course, your health, so try to limit alcohol consumption to no more than once a week.
- Exercise– as basic and simple as it may sound, breaking up a sweat will help release toxins out of your body and thus help your skin radiate. So get movin’!
- Proper Skin Care Regimen– a good skin care regimen that is customized for your personal skin type is essential in achieving a red carpet glow. You might be thinking duh right now, but too many people use the wrong products for their skin type. If you’re unsure what your skin type is, then check out our website for an online analysis Mario Badescu Skin Care.
- Do a DIY Spa Treatment– If you can’t afford a facial at the spa, then feed your skin with a mask that can be concocted with glow-enhancing ingredients straight from your kitchen. For instance, apply honey on your face and leave it on for 30 minutes, then wash off with lukewarm water. Great for any skin type, honey will cleanse your pores and help tighten your pores. If you have dry skin, apply mayonnaise on your face (avoiding the eye area) and leave on for 20-30 minutes. This will help tighten your pores and moisturize your skin.
- Makeup– with makeup application, the key is ‘less is more’ for a dewy glow. On a clean face, apply a lightweight moisturizer followed by a primer before you apply makeup. Choose foundation that is suitable for your skin type. If you have normal to oily skin, opt for a liquid or powder foundation. If you have normal to dry skin, choose a liquid or cream foundation. You can even mix in a drop or two of moisturizer in your foundation for a dewy look- but this tip is best for dry skin types. To avoid looking cakey, go very light on the loose powder to set your foundation. For a gorgeous glow, blush is a must. If you have normal to oily skin, use a powder blush, and if you have normal to dry skin, opt for a cream blush and apply on the apples of your cheeks and blend toward the temples.
Lee Ann Buttery is a Licensed Esthetician and Professional Makeup Artist based in the Princeton, New Jersey area. She also works for Mario Badescu Skin Care. A couple of her favorite Mario Badescu products are the Vitamin C Serum and the Seaweed Cleansing Soap. One of her passions in the skin care industry is acne treatment. She is a busy mom of a baby son and is an unashamed Britney Spears fan.
photo from : skbeautyexpert.wordpress.com